oh..I guess the hair cut helps… :)
Well Rocky needed to go for his yearly check-up (June 24) with Tina and I was impressed with how well he did. He didn’t need that much shaping or wiring (bit set in his ways, after having to survive all those chance falling-out of his pot moments, traumatic tree-hood I call it)…but he did get a nice red rock added to his pot.
This raises him up a little bit, gives him some added stability and adds a little something extra to his pot. So with a nice re-pot and new rock, he’s fighting fit and ready to kick butt!
This came in the form of a re-pot with some fresh soil and a hair cut today (chopping off some branches that were dead and some leaves that had been chomped by an insect).
I have faith that he will come good over the spring and into 2008, once he’s had the chance to grow and be shaped. This will take time, so watch this space!
Many months ago, on a trip down to see our good mates, Kel and Rob, we got to talking about bonsai and Rob showed us two bonsais that, although well loved, needed a bit of TLC (and some expert guidance from my bonsai teacher, Tina!).
So today Bushie went off to class and went from his big green pot to a stylish blue pot (inherited from my Poppie and much loved from Japan). Tina helped to give him an informal upright shape and he looks so much better.
He’s currently having a soak and I can’t wait to see how he grows and develops in the next couple of years!!
But a clean bill of health was given to Buddha. Wiring came off (as it was just starting to cut in), a little bit of orange wire was added to a low-hanging branch and the OK was given to the salve that was applied in the initial re-pot (too much stretching created a little snap, but the branch is still alive and kicking!!
When I took Rootie to bonsai class for a check-up (24th June), little did I know the trauma that was awaiting both of us. Wiring from his initial re-pot was OK to come off and it was only that Tina thought he needed to move a little bit in his pot, that we discovered not one- BUT A STACK of little grubs!
Oh the trauma! A full re-pot was in order to ensure that they didn’t get to eat any more of his roots (no wonder he was loosing leaves!). I will be keeping a vigilant eye out in future!! He does need some moss but I haven’t had the chance to find any yet…..