Between 1833 and 1877, about one thousand burials took place on the island. The majority were convicts and ex-convict paupers who were buried mostly in unmarked graves on the lower part of the island. The graves of free people were located on the high side of the island and were sometimes marked by elaborate headstones cut by the convict stonemasons.
The Isle of the Dead is a small island located in the harbour adjacent to the Port Arthur Historic Site. Originally called Opossum Island, it was selected as a burial place by the Reverend John Manton in 1833.
these two images say soo much about port arthur 🙂